I love cats and quilts.... and my cats love quilts too!




Saturday, March 6, 2010

Got sidetracked....

After getting back from my walk with Maggie Mae, I had planned on working on "Madeline". But when I went to get the plastic bin with all the pieces, I saw my two full grocery bags of scraps I had been collecting ever since I read about recycling them by using them to stuff cat beds. Well seeing the bags triggered something, and I "just" had to try to make a bed so I could get all the scraps gone.
Quite a while back I had bought a really pretty flat sheet from a thrift shop to use as a quilt back. It was white with little yellow flowers. I was in a hurry and didn't examine the sheet closely and when I got it home to wash it I found a big red ink stain right in the center of it. Not one to throw much away, I kept it to use to cover furniture, etc. I went and got it out and ironed the wrinkles out.

I have been saving all my strips of batting that I trim off quilts when I square them, so I dug those out. I used my zig zag stitch on my sewing machine and pieced all the scraps into one large piece. (I couldn't get over how good this worked!)

I cut the sheet and used the ink blotch for the inside layer and the good areas for the outside. I made two sandwiches, one for the top and one for the bottom. I pinned it and then practiced some more machine quilting. After I got the two layers done, I sewed them together right sides together, like a pillow. I zigzagged the edges so it wouldn't fray. Then I turned it inside out, and stuffed it with all the pieces of scraps. I just sewed it shut with my machine.
Sunshine immediately hopped up and took possession...
yawned.....

and looked at me as if to say "What?? You made it for me didn't you??"

This was an easy way to keep those scraps out of the landfill.

Happy Quilting!
Cindy



3 comments:

  1. This looks great, Cindy! Actually, you're giving me an idea - I've been wanting to get a bed for my kitty, but why buy one when I can make one! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying this year to use a quote I read on a frugalista's website. "Why buy new? Make do!" Before I go out and buy something I try to think is there a way I can make do with what I have already in my home, or can pick up really inexpensively at a thrift shop. It helps the budget and keeps things out of the landfill. A few days ago I ran out of spray starch, so I made my own! Keeps that pressurized can out of the landfill.

    Glad I gave you an idea for a bed for you kitty!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to find your blog, love your cats on the quilts. My youngest grand daughter Payten is 21 months old, when I am sitting at the computer, of course she wants on my lap. I go right to quilt blogs because so many bloggers have their pets in the picks. I can look as long as I want to while we both look for cats and dogs! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete